Swede Albin Elowson wins muddy round seven of the World Enduro Super Series.
A treble of home riders stood on the podium of the Gotland Grand National in Sweden as round seven of the World Enduro Super Series turned into a giant mud bath. Here is all you need to know:
– Albin Elowson (Husqvarna) claimed victory for the first time at the race in front of compatriots Robert Kvarnstrom (Yamaha) and Ken Bengston (Husqvarna).
– This was the 35th edition of the iconic event, renowned as the world’s largest Enduro race with over 3000 riders competing this year.
– Riders take on a 22km circuit through the Scandinavian forest on the island of Gotland.
– Nearly 600 hobby riders enjoyed perfect conditions on Friday but the weather turned overnight ensuring the main race will be remembered as one of the wettest in history.
– Thousands of riders jostled for position in the mud. Elowson moved into the race lead on lap one followed by Kvarnstrom. The duo then went head-to-head before Elowson pulled clear to claim a convincing win at the end of the sixth and final lap. Bengtson rounded out the podium in third.
– For the WESS title contenders, Spain’s Josep Garcia crossed the finish line in 12th to slightly close the gap to series leader Billy Bolt, who finished 13th.
– Kvarnstrom said: “That was a really tough race. It was so wet and so muddy. I think it was one of the toughest editions of GGN that we’ve ever done. I got a good start and was running with Albin Elowson early on, but a few mistakes and some issues with the traffic cost me time and he gapped me. I found some more speed towards the end, but it wasn’t quite enough to pressure Albin for the lead.”
– Bolt said: “I had a tough first lap. Another rider crashed in front of me and I managed to stop, but then someone else crashed into me from behind and we were all stuck in a mud puddle. I got going again but got mixed up in another crash and went down again – that’s when I broke the throttle tube. I made the mistake of stopping to try and fix it and lost so many places as a result. I’m a little bit disappointed not to have finished higher – I think without the problems I could have – but importantly I have stretched my lead at the top of the standings as we now look towards the final round in Holland.”
Results – Gotland Grand National
1. Albin Elowson (Husqvarna – SWE) 6 laps, 2:59:02
2. Robert Kvarnstrom (Yamaha – SWE) 3:01:52
3. Ken Bengston (Husqvarna – SWE) 3:03:38
4. Taddy Blazusiak (KTM – POL) 3:06:59
5. Sebastian Martensson (Husqvarna – SWE) 3:08:33
Photo Credit: Future 7 media
Follow us on Facebook
Next Upcoming Events